BORN - 1938 Lancashire, England.
Arrived in Victoria, Australia 1949.
Tasmania 1955 – 1971.
Adelaide 1971 – present.
Studied Drawing and Design, Tasmanian School of Art.
WORKS – Watercolour, acrylic, pastels and drawing.
TEACHING AND LECTURING –
- Lecturer Brighton TAFE and Onkaparinga TAFE – 25 years (oils/acrylics, watercolours and drawing).
- Lecturer Douglas Mawson TAFE – 5 years.
- Conducted numerous field trips with TAFE art students throughout South Australia, including Flinders Ranges, Coorong, Kapunda.
- Lecturer Adelaide Central School of Art (over 15 years ) – Waterbased Media elective, watercolour and
- Creative Drawing
- Master classes in watercolour at Adelaide Central School of Art.
- Demonstrations and Public talks Open Days ACSA
- Corporate Workshops.
- Workshops and demonstrations at numerous South Australian art groups – since mid 1970’s and ongoing.
- Workshops and demonstrations at the Royal S.A. Society of Arts.
- Invited to lecture and demonstrate in watercolours at Adelaide colleges including Wilderness School, St. Aloysius College and St. Pauls.
- Teaching watercolour classes at Pepper Street Arts Centre since 2012.
- Currently teaching at Adelaide Central School of Art – Glenside Campus, Pepper Street Arts Centre - Magill, Artland - Clovelly Park and privately at St. Marys.
WATERCOLOUR WORKSHOPS ART GALLERY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA include –
- Public lectures and workshops at Art Gallery of S.A. for “Island to Empire” exhibitions.
- “Just Like Heysen” Workshop – Art Gallery of S.A. 2008
- Early Colonial Exhibition – Art Gallery of S.A.
- 19th Century English Watercolours – Gallery lectures plus 2 day workshops
- “Turner from the Tate” – two workshops – 2013.
- Video for Turner Exhibition (demonstration of Turner’s techniques).
- Designed project for ipads – works of Turner – for secondary and primary school workshops (also made available to schools throughout South Australia).
- “Tarnanthi” – a lecture/demonstration to primary and secondary teachers.
DESIGNED - Watercolour palette – produced and marketed by the Royal S.A. Blind Society.
SOLO EXHIBITION –
2014 “A Living Retrospective 1970-2014” – David Sumner Gallery. S.A.
2010 “Illusions” – Adelaide Central Gallery, Norwood.
2009 Work featured Adelaide Airport.
2008 SALA Exhibition, Adelaide Central Gallery, Norwood.
2006 Studio Gallery, Adelaide Central Gallery, Norwood.
1989 Barry Newton Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
1986 Kensington Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
1983 Kensington Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
1982 Reinhar Gallery, North Adelaide, S.A. – Adelaide Fringe.
1981/85 Barry Newton Gallery, Malvern, S.A.
1980 Lombard Gallery, North Adelaide S.A. – Adelaide Fringe
1976 Collector’s Gallery, Perth, W.A.
1974 Osborne Art Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
1972 Rigby Gallery, S.A.
1971 Salamanca Art Gallery, Hobart, Tasmania.
1970 Salamanca Art Gallery, Hobart, Tasmania.
1963 Mary Jolliffe Gallery, Launceston, Tasmania.
1962 Ross, Tasmania.
DUO EXHIBITIONS –
Kensington Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Barry Newton Gallery, Adelaide, S.A. (3)
The Barn, McLaren Vale, S.A.
Hughes Gallery, Fullarton Centre, S.A. (2)
Adelaide Central Gallery, Norwood, S.A.
Malaleuca Gallery, Meningie, S.A.
INVITATION GROUP EXHIBITIONS –
“Flourish” Fundraiser – Adelaide Central School of Art 2011
Lecturers Exhibition – Adelaide Central Gallery,
Macquarie Fine Art Invitation 2008.
Helpman Academy Maestros and Apprentices Exhibition 2008.
Kensington Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Barry Newton Gallery, Malvern, S.A. (4)
“Nine Artists of Distinction” – Osborne Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
CALTEX - “Invitation Masters and Protégé” (Master)
“Artists of Distinction” – Newton Gallery, Malvern, S.A.
“South Australia Watercolours” Bartoni Gallery, Vic.
Osborne Art Gallery, Adelaide – Adelaide Festival of Arts. (2)
Avenal Bee, Stirling – Adelaide Festival of Arts.
Hill Smith Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Festival Exhibitions, Scotch College, Adelaide, S.A.
Dridan Gallery, McLaren Vale, S.A.
Loreto College, Prince Alfred College, and St. Ignatius College.
Westminster School of S.A. – Wetlands and Wildlife Exhibitions.
David Sumner Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Lecturers Exhibition, Central Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Studio Z, Burnside, S.A.
Reade Art, Adelaide.
Two Pike Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Cardone Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
Tomlinson Gallery, Adelaide, S.A.
The Barn, McLaren Vale, S.A.
Hilton Hotel, Adelaide, S.A.
Angus Gallery, Stirling, S.A. – Festival of Arts.
Participated in numerous fundraising art exhibitions in the Adelaide community.
EXHIBITION JUDGE -
JUDGED AND CO-JUDGED many South Australian exhibitions including Victor Harbour, Port Adelaide, Glenelg, Blackwood, Brighton, Tea Tree Gully, Summertown, Murray Bridge and others.
- PAINTING PRIZE – Bunbury, W.A.
- WATERCOLOUR PRIZE – Dubbo, N.S.W.
- WATERCOLOUR PRIZE - Elizabeth, S.A.
- WATERCOLOUR PRIZE - Victor Harbour Rotary, S.A.
- PAINTING PRIZE – Victor Harbour Council S.A. (Acquisitive)
- PAINTING PRIZE - Victor Harbour – Fricker Carrington Group.
- WATERCOLOUR PRIZE – Barossa Vintage Festival, S.A. (twice)
- PAINTING PRIZE – Hindmarsh Prize, Victor Harbour Rotary, S.A.
- FINALIST Fleurieu Biennale Exhibition – 2000, 2004, 2006.
- HEYSEN PRIZE – BEST ACRYLIC, Hahndorf, S.A.
- Plus many Merit Awards and commendations.
Fellow of the Royal S.A. Society of Arts – elected 1970’s.
- FOUR published sketchbooks in the popular and widely distributed Rigby/Sketchbook series – including Port Arthur, Launceston. Moonta and Wallaroo, Clare. Collaborated with highly esteemed author Patsy Adam-Smith during the research of the Port Arthur and Launceston sketchbooks.
- BOOK COVER - Hodden Stoughton.
- ILLUSTRATOR with the Education Department, Tasmania and freelance illustrator for 2 years.
- AUSTRALIAN ARTIST MAGAZINE – article on acrylic painting, October 1988.
- Reference in “ARTISTS AND ART GALLERIES OF AUSTRALIA”
- Reference in “AUSTRALIAN WATERCOLOURS’ – Elizabeth Young.
- Reference in “WHO’S WHO’S S.A.” – State Edition – 1st edition.
- Feature – “S.A. MINES AND ENERGY JOURNAL” – 2008/9.
Art Gallery of South Australia, Bunbury City Council W.A. *Cav Power, S.A.A.T.A.S., * South Australian Gas Company, Victor Harbour Council, Fricker Carrington Group, General Accident Insurance Company, McMahon Constructions, * Shell Australia, CPS Credit Union, Myles Pearce, ETSA Credit Union, * State Bank of South Australia, IEL, Mayne Nickless, Ayres Finnis, SGIC Insurance, * Coopers Brewery, AMP Society, Winnall & Semple & Co, Park Royal Motor Inn, Standard Chartered Bank, *Fisher Jeffries Solicitors, Allert Heard & Co., Swedish Motors Bangkok, Bissland Construction Company, J. Horwood & Associates, Foreshore Motel, Union Carbide, FH Faulding, *Australian Barley Board Adelaide (complete collection) – (including gift to Saudia Arabia), Flinders University, Collections Britain, Germany, Hong Kong, Commonwealth Centre, Adelaide; *A. Noble & Son Ltd. (Engineering) – Plus many private collections throughout Adelaide and Australia and overseas.